Subjects studied included:
Computer Networking, Software Engineering, Software Development, System analysis, Database Management Systems, Web Programming & Architecture, Human Computer Interaction and Cryptography.
Third Year Individual Study:
From the ideas phase right through to a fully functional implemented system, I single handily developed and documented a ‘Secondary School Web-based Pupil Registration System (Electronic Registration System)’ using Oracle DBMS and the waterfall methodology for which I received a first.
Gained from giving presentations at seminars and by completing group projects.
Comfortable working as part of a team for seminar preparations and course work. I have also acquired report writing skills from writing specialised reports on different areas within computing.
- From idea through to completion, I took it upon myself to evaluate, design and implement a Network Monitoring System for one of the UK largest Academies. To aid in managing an ever growing IT environment split across multiple sites and to allow support staff to proactively fix issues before causing interruption to service. Both proprietary, open source and open source core/commercial products where evaluated before settling on a full open source solution. Criteria included single solution for both monitoring/alerting and graphing historic and trending data as well as scalability allowing for growth. Final solution required FreeBSD 10.1-Release, Apache, MySQL and PHP. To scale the solution across sites an identical proxy server was built. Performance tuning was also required.
- Architecting and implementing 1500 user email migration from hosted Exchange to Office 365 for a large Academic Institute. Solution incorporated multi-forest/multi-site AD, requiring highly available ADFS infrastructure for SSO. In accordance with requirements and lack of existing resource, a two node Hyper-V Cluster was built using an iSCSI SAN. In addition, a third server was used as a replica server for DR split across two campuses. 10Gb network fabric for iSCSI and data to Cisco 4500 catalyst switches was used. Seamless migration from incumbent was imperative whilst up against a short time frame. Multiple factors where needed to be considered and over come through out the project. Additional project included migrating current VMware workloads to Hyper-V cluster.
- Technical lead engineer for large Academic Institute project to implement new Cisco switched network, migrate VMWare cluster/Server infrastructure to new Server room, deploy 500+ laptop/desktops, liaise with various providers of telephony, wireless and printers to fit their solutions in to our Cisco design. Tasks include but not limited to documenting existing “organically” grown network consisting of 50+ switches interconnected via various fiber and copper links between buildings of which no documentation existed. Designing logical network to replace existing single flat broadcast domain. Liaising/instruct CCIE engineer, Telephony engineer and Wireless engineer to bring project in on time.
- Architecting and implementing a highly available Microsoft Lync Server 2013 deployment internally to replace existing Cisco CME IPPBX. Challenges taken on and overcome include interoperability between Lync 2013 and Cisco CME. Pre-roll out testing with the ability to roll back should it be required. Integration and migration of Non-Lync SIP trunks, Geo-Number porting between providers and number provisioning.
- Designing and implementing a highly available Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 cluster for a pharmaceutical freight company with a restrained budget. Solution required no single point of failure including the storage system. Migrated current workloads (including legacy bespoke software) to latest OS and consolidated servers to reduce overall physical foot print.
- Designing and implementing VDI for an Offshore Academy in a classroom/training environment. Full VDI with multi-monitor thin client architecture running on Hyper-V 2008 R2 and Server 2008 R2 RDS. Training seabed mapping software required RemoteFX and vGPU support.
- Project managed and implemented, from a technical prospective, a new sales office and distribution centre installation in Ireland for a subsidiary of British Seafood Ltd. I liaised with the build project manager and company MD to provide a new rack mounted multi server and site wide network installation to facilitate the needs of the fixed and mobile work force. Also provisioning a site-to-site private WAN link between the new and existing office, working with local carriers.
- Implemented a mobile email solution that provided the organisation with reliable synchronisation for roaming handsets. The company had been using a legacy protocol that performed poorly; I was able to offer my expertise and fulfil the client’s requirements, mobilizing their work force making them more efficient.
- Developed a cost effective bespoke off-site disk-based backup system to replace the current unreliable legacy on-site tape system which was no longer fit for purpose due to the company’s rapid expansion. With replication between the data centre and local nodes on primary sites, all business critical data was securely and reliably backed up from all sites throughout the UK and Ireland. ROI was substantial due to the large number of DAT tapes the entire group consumed and also because the Cost/GB per media differed greatly.
- Designed and implemented a Windows SharePoint Services farm for a distributed QA team by which they could collaborate between sites sharing specifications and other important quality assurance documentation as part of local legislation. As part of the WSS implementation, I provisioned a new virtualised SQL 2008 server on to an existing Hyper-v host I’d previously sourced and configured for the on-going project of reducing physical server numbers.